Each survivor is assigned one main skill, akin to a character class. This skill can be improved through experience or training. The main player is an exception, as they can level up all five of their skills.
A survivor's non-main skills can't be levelled up (unless they change their main skill first in schools), but they can be improved using equipment and perks. Non-main skills function normally in missions.
In addition to the benefits in mission, higher skill level generally gives better dialogue options in events, especially with leadership.
Character's leadership and charisma. This skill affects:
- Chance of successfully recruiting new survivors (In the form of better dialogue options)
- Better dialogue options with merchants and gang leaders
- Better dialogue options in many events.
- Amount of happiness increase when the character is working in bars or churches
This is a bit of a misnomer, as it affects both attacking and defending. The effects are:
- Overall mission danger level reduction.
- Chance and efficiency to successfully kill zombies, raid or attack other factions.
- Adds to the building's defense rating when the character is guarding buildings.
Character's knack for finding useful things. This skill affects:
- Finds more stuff, faster and safer in scavenging mission
- Produces more food when farming, hunting, or fishing
Character's skill in building. The effects are:
- Builds, reclaims, and demolish faster (the effect is non-continuous)
- Find more material when chopping wood
Character's knowledge of various scientific disciplines. This skill affects:
- The speed at which research is completed
- The speed at which items are produced in a workshop
- The speed at which electricity and running water is fixed.