Each survivor is assigned one main skill, akin to a character class. This skill can be improved through experience or training. The main player is an exception, as they can level up all five of their skills.
A survivor's non-main skills can't be levelled up, but they can be improved using equipment and perks.
Character's leadership and charisma. This skill affects:
- Chance of successfully recruiting new survivors.
- Better dialogue options with merchants and gang leaders
- Amount of happiness when the character is working in bars or churches
Character's combat skills. It affects:
- Overall mission danger level.
- Chance to successfully killing zombies, raid or attack other factions.
- Adds to the building's defense rating when the character is guarding buildings.
Character's knack for finding useful things. During scavenging missions, more stuff is found faster. It's unknown if this affects chance to find random items as well.
Character's knowledge of various scientific disciplines. This skill affects research speed, and engineers are faster at crafting items.