Building materials is one of the five resources in Rebuild: Gangs of Deadsville.
If you have 0 materials, you cannot reclaim a building or start a building mission (other than demolishing)
Materials are consumed when:
- The player reclaims buildings (presumably it is used to build a protective walls around that building).
- Turning one building type into another via a build mission.
- Upgrading a building with watch towers(cost 1), bunkers(cost 3) or turrets(cost 5)
- Choosing the "build a barricade" option when defending against zombie or enemy attacks. Consumes 3 materials and decreases danger.
Note: The leader perk Construction worker halves all the building cost. And yes, this can be used to produce endless materials by demolishing and building repeatedly.
Materials can be gained by:
- Scavenging buildings. Additionally, a survivor with Hoarder perk can randomly find 10 extra materials when scavenging.
- Chopping wood, either at the edge of a map or in a park. (Once every 4 days?)
- Converting a building to rubble (via a building mission)
- Trading with other factions.
- Crafting zombie traps in a workshop.(5 materials for 2 traps)
- Given by certain Factions when allied.